Saturday, December 13, 2008

Surprise!!


So, my birthday is in 15 days--that's right, three days after Christmas. Anyways, a couple of months ago I decided that I wanted to have a birthday party (I have not had a birthday party since I was 15 and before that, age 10--none of them have been fondly remembered), and one of my best friends was so excited to plan it! Well, as it got closer and the semester came closer to an end, I no longer wanted to be the focus of many people's attention at a party dedicated to me. I told my friend this and she was bummed, but respected my decision and asked if it would be okay to at least go out to dinner as friends. I agreed.
Well this week was full of theatre productions, two tests, a paper that needs to be done by Monday, regular classes, Secret Santa in my house with close group of friends, and work. Needless to say, I was very relieved that I no longer had a birthday party to think about or attend. Yesterday--I had yet to finish my paper (heck, I hadn't even started it!) and was determined to write it that day so I could focus my weekend on studying for finals (and the 10 hours of work that I am putting in as I write...). Another roommate, Heather, said that she would help me focus--we went to Panera (yum, yum!), then we were going to do a change of scene by going to a coffee shop that Heather and her old roommate used to frequent often in a different part of town.
After Panera--by this point, I had written a couple of pages, but was determined to finish the paper THAT NIGHT!--Heather had to go to Target to get a gift for a friend. Then she asked if it was okay if we stopped by a restaurant to get a gift certificate for another friend real quick. I call another friend who was going to meet us at the coffee shop to tell her we were on our way, but making a quick stop at this restaurant. She said that she was eating dinner with her mom in that restaurant at that very moment and that we should say hi to her and her mom when we stop in. We go in, and I am directed to her table to see...my sister! I thought, that's funny, why is Michelle eating dinner with Julia and her Mom? That is when everyone started to sing Happy Birthday! I was so shocked and surprised! There was almost 20 people there to celebrate! It was so good to see them all and I teared up a little. I can't believe that I had absolutely no idea! I reasoned that it was because Heather is so trustful that I could never imagine her lying to me--well she did! There was no cute coffee house and I have to admit, I was a little disappointed because she had talked up this coffee house so much that I was excited to go study there. My friends got me some awesome gifts (one being THE DARK KNIGHT! which we watched last night, of course!) and it was a great dinner and surprise.

This is Heather and me! Not last night, but we sure do look surprised!


In case you didn't already figure it out, I did not finish my essay last night, but woke up early today to finish it. And I did! Just in time before I had to rush off to work, which is where I am now, so I need to stop neglecting my duties. I just want to thank all of my amazing friends who did this for me! They are AWESOME!

No comments: